The Vision of the Zen Peacemaker Order
- the Three Tenets of the Order (not-knowing, bearing witness and doing the actions coming out of not-knowing and bearing witness).
- the ZPO as a world-wide movement of meditators doing social action as spiritual practice,
- bearing witness retreats around the world at places where humanity’s shadow appears,
- forms of practice for individual and collective enlightenment, and
- how we can live our lives with openness and wonder.
The Mission of the Zen Peacemaker Order
Our mission is to create a community of peacemakers enacting a vision of peace through the practice of meditation, the Rule of the Zen Peacemaker Order and social action, and to nurture an environment for the realization and actualization of peacemaking as a path of awakening. We seek to connect, train and support Zen Peacemakers throughout the world.
The Core Values of the Zen Peacemaker Order
Our core values are:
- The Three Tenets of the Zen Peacemakers:
- Not-Knowing by giving up fixed ideas about ourselves and the universe.
- Bearing Witness to the joy and suffering of the world.
- Taking Action that arises from Not-Knowing and Bearinig Witness.
- Minimizing suffering to ourselves and others.
- Broad-based inclusivity of all things.
- Renewal, creativity and experimentation.
- Inquiry into skillful means.
- Peer governance.
The Core Practices of the Zen Peacemaker Order
Our core practices are:
Our core practices are:
- Maintain a regular Zen Meditation practice (at least twice a week for at least 30 minutes) with a group or privately.
- Attend a Meditation Retreat at least once per year.
- Continued study and practice of the ZPO Rule with a ZPO Rule Teacher (ZPO Rule Teachers can be any ZPO Preceptor, ZPO Priest or ZPO Teacher.)
- A monthly Day of Reflection on the ZPO Rule with a group or privately. If doing it with a group, use their version of the Day of Reflection.
- Periodic practice of the Way of Council.
- Monthly Social Action: volunteer service other than your job. (See the ZPO Member Group Listings for possibilities of doing Social Action with one of those Group Members.)
- Maintain a regular Minute of Silence for Peace at Noon.
- Attend a ZPO Bearing Witness Retreat at least once every three years.
- Study the ZPO Gate of Sweet Nectar Liturgy and do the Gate of Sweet Nectar Liturgy at least once per month with a group or privately.
Bernie’s current vision of the ZPO, includes the Three Tenets of the Order (not-knowing, bearing witness and doing the actions coming out of not-knowing and bearing witness), the ZPO as a world-wide movement of social action as spiritual practice, bearing witness retreats at places of trauma around the world, forms of practice for individual and collective enlightenment, and how we can live our lives with openness and wonder.